Sunday, December 27, 2009

Veggies Patties Part 2

I'm gonna do it right this time. And by right I mean I'm going to remember to use Bread Crumbs (or Saltines) because I think that's why the Patties didn't turn out last time I attempted them.

I'm using Quinoa this time.
I know, I need to work on getting better lighting in the winter months, but trust me, it's Quinoa.
I forget the ratio, but it's quicker than Rice and Garbonzo Beans. This is Red Quinoa. Not sure why, but I'm told I like it better, or it's healthier or something.

While that's cooking, gather your Veggies.
Chard, Red & Yellow Peppers, Shiitake Mushrooms, Arugala, Garlic, Jalepeno Pepper.

Chop them all, but set the Arugala aside.

Again, this step is probably unnecessary, but I'm lightly Sautéing the Veggies first.
So Sauté the Garlic & Jalepeno.

Throw in the rest of the Veggies, minus the Arugala.

Keep an eye on the Quinoa.
It's done. Or almost, we don't want to over cook it.

In a separate bowl combine the Quinoa & Veggies & Arugala.
Season to taste; Tamari, Paprika, White Pepper, Chipotle Powder, Turmeric etc.

Don't forget the Bread Crumbs.
Mix.
Add the Eggs.
I had quite a bit of Quinoa, so I'm using two Eggs.
I normally wouldn't do an experimental batch this big, but I didn't have enough Quinoa to justify saving the last little bit, so I just used all I had.

Anyway,
Mix it up real good.
Yeah like that.

I got a screwball for you too.
I'm trying Lentil Patties as well.
Just cook up some lentils.

Add Bread Crumbs.
And Egg.
Mix.

Again, heating a pan with oil and throwing a small ball of Quinoa & Veggies or Lentils in and forming them into a Patty in the pan.
Like so.


They actually turned out pretty well.
Just as tasty, but much better structure-wise. I'm blaming the Bread Crumbs.

They were still pretty fragile. They held together pretty well when I flipped them, but broke apart easily enough once cooked. I don't think it would fare too well in a bun if you were to eat it like a Lamburger. Plus it was pretty dry, especially the Lentil Patty. I used some Faux Goddess Dressing my housemate Bob whips up, which is a Tahini based Vinegarette to spread and dip the Lentil Patties in.

I refrigerated the stuff I didn't use and I'm not sure if it's the temperature or the loss of freshness, but it didn't stick together as well the longer it was in the fridge.

Good luck and Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment