Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lamb Burger Patties

I know I've been a bit behind on my posts. I have a few in que, I was going to try to update once a week, but excuse, excuse, excuse, so that didn't happen.
The moral of the story is, it's October, so it's not really grillin or BBQ season any more, but I just had a BBQ last night and grilled this.
This, however, was shot several weeks ago, but really it's the same thing.

Gather ingredients.
Ground lamb, Arugala Blossoms (because the blossoms are all that's really growing now), Saltines, Tamari, Egg, Basil, Serrano Pepper, Garlic, Crumbled Cheese.
Spices are not pictured, but it's the usual; Pepper, Paprika, Turmeric, etc.

I use one pound of ground meat, lately it's been lamb, but this will work with beef, bison, turkey, pork, chicken, any ground meat.
And you can really put anything you want in it. Try different themes: Greek-- Artichoke Hearts, Olives. South West--Black Beans, Corn (Chips). Italian-- Tomatoes, Olives, Oregano (just kidding about the Oregano. Don't ever use Oregano. Oregano is for posers). Middle Eastern-- Feta, Olives, Curry. The sky's the limit.

It's basically meatloaf in patty form, so it's best to keep the patties separated, otherwise, what's the point?
You can use anything really, but some materials are better than others. Tin foil works well. So does the wax paper they wrap the meat in.
Whatever you use, I would recommend folding it, or putting two layers between the meat if you freeze it. It will be so much easier to separate than a single layer.

Okay, mix everything

Season to taste.

Test the saltines for freshness.
Perfect.

I use 10 Saltines, and one Egg for texture purposes.

Mash it all together.
Yeah like that.
Until it's evenly mashed.

If you cut the meat wad in half, then in half again, you will have quarter pound patties.
Grab one of the quarters, roll it into a ball, flatten, place on foil, repeat three times.

Viola.
~*~

Weird.
It just occurred to me that I don't have a picture of the finished dish.
I'll see what I can do about that.

2 comments:

  1. yo, yo...you with the face! So though I'm allergic to it, you can go real simple, but delicious with Lamb and use finely chopped fresh rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper, then use mint sauce as a condiment on the burger! Also, if you don't have saltines (if you are overseas and they don't exist) you can use breadcrumbs.

    Finally...do you cook naked all the time? One word for you...Hygiene! ;)

    Glad you are posting again! Can't wait to cook with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that show is taken... the naked chef..?
    Breadcrumbs is what the original recipe calls for, but saltines just seem to work. I don't know what 10 saltines equals in breadcrumbs.

    ReplyDelete