Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chick Peas!


Yes.
Fresh Chick Peas, or Garbanzo Beans... is it a Pea? Is it a Bean?

Let's just settle for Legume.
They look like tiny little brains.

They're pretty good. Way better than in a can.
We have a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) at Sungold Farms, located in Forest Grove, OR.
We buy 2 shares and every week for about 4.5 months we get fresh, local, organic produce. We pick it up at the Farmer's Market downtown on Saturdays.
Once a year they give us Chick Peas.
You pop them out of their pod, with a little pop sound, like that bubble wrap with a prize inside.
There's only one per pod, so it takes awhile to fill up, oh say, 1 Cup.
But they're so good. I didn't know beans or peas or whatever could taste so fresh, I always had them from a can.

Okay, well enough of that.

I put them in stir fries. That's all I've done with them so far.
Maybe next year I'll grow some, since you can grow them in this climate, and attempt some raw Humus or something.

I think to grow them you just get some dried ones and let them sit in water, or keep them wet, and they start sprouting.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. You could simply snack on them? Eat them raw you know. They are extremely high in protein in their raw form. I recently purchased sprouted beans at The Happy Pear, which I will be taking you to when you visit (yeah). They were beans like lentils, chickpeas, pinto...sprouted...fresh, raw and delicious. I put them on salads, or simply ate them raw! What flavor! We'll get some when you visit! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete