Sunday, June 14, 2009

Vegan Lasagna

Okay everybody's been doing pretty well so far with the recipes I've thrown at you, so now we're going to step it up a bit and do something a little more intense.
Vegan Lasagna.
And it's the real vegan, not like the vegan-except-for-the-chicken-and-the-egg kinda vegan.

So the Tempeh is optional, but if you're going to put it in you should start with it.
It's basically ground Beef in the form of crumbled Tempeh.
This is the recipe I use for Tempeh Tacos for our Spanish Immersion nights... or whenever, but especially then.
Start with these:
Tempeh, garlic, hot pepper, coconut oil (or whatever oil).

Heat oil, saute chopped Garlic & Pepper.
Crumble Tempeh as best you can, but don't worry it'll break down nicely as you cook it.

Tempeh is kinda dry, or spongy or whatever, so you need to be adding oil as you go as it's needed.
That's what the white chunks of love are in the pan, un-melted coconut oil.
Season it.
I use: Black & White Pepper, Paprika, Turmeric, Tamari & Balsamic Vinegar.
That vinegar bottle has a spray top. That business only works with rabbit food. That's why my finger is over the top, because spraying is ridiculous and I don't want to flood the Tempeh.

So once it's seasoned you basically cook it like ground beef.
This is what ground beef looks like.
For the record, I do not vouch for, nor endorse 'pinch my salt dot com.'
First of all, they don't use iron skillets, and it looks like most of their ingredients come from the can.
meh.
They do have better lighting though.

On to the sauce!
Gather the Veggies & Fungi.
As you can see there is a jar of what looks like Trader Joe's Sauce. I have been assured that it is not TJ's, but rather the leftovers of another batch from scratch who happened to re-use the TJ's jar.
This is what actually inspired this week's dish.
Thanks Lee, you are such an inspiration.
Also thanks for the kick-@$$ vacuum & the paint.

Anyway, clockwise spiral into madness starting at noon; Shiitake Mushrooms, Zucchini, Asparagus, Jalapeno Pepper, Heirloom Tomatoes, Garlic.

Chop all but the Tomatoes & saute on low in another pan.
You don't want to over cook the stuff. It still needs to simmer with the Tomatoes and then bake for 40 minutes.

So, in theory, any tomato will do, it just depends on what you're going for.
I am going for no less than awesome, and that is why I am using Heirloom Tomatoes.
If you are unfamiliar with Heirloom Tomatoes, treat yourself & familiarize yourself with them.

They are beautiful...

...and tasty
Other than that I don't know much else about them. I'm sure there's a history and stuff behind them.
Yep, there is. Thanks Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heirloom_tomato

Well, enough with the past, we're here, and the time is now.
Chop them Tomatoes, we're gonna make their ancestors proud.
I actually only needed the 2 big ones because we're also using Lee's homemade sauce.
I'm not sure what he put in it, but I spied a few Artichoke Hearts.
Mix it up real good and simmer.
You don't need to cook it much, because it will, like I mentioned above, be baking for 40 minutes.

Now add the herbs.
That's Basil at the top, left to right we have Tarragon, Sage and of course Arugala.

You may have noticed that there is no Oregano. That's because Oregano is cliche and only posers use it.
But of course everything is optional. It's your stomach, put whatever you want in it. No judgment.

So chop up & add the herbs and let simmer for a minute or two more.

Then give it a taste.

Holy bawls.
That is awesome.

Turn off the heat and move on to your final asset.
Vegan Cheese sauce.
Counter-clockwise starting with the Lime: Lime, Honey, Tofu (firm), Nutritional Yeast, Egg, Coconut Milk.

I'm just kidding about the egg.
I was just checking to see if anyone would notice.

Throw everything in the Food Processor.
If you don't have a food processor, a blender will do, but good luck.

Yeah. Where's my wish list?
I wish I had a food processor.

Now, we assemble the masterpiece

Grease the pan.
Again, I have no idea if this works or not.

I still don't know the dimensions, but it serves 4-6.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to pre-cook the Noodles.
The sauce is usually saucy enough to soften them.
However, you may have difficulty getting the Noodles to fit in the bottom of the pan.
Fracture as necessary.

Add Sauce.

Add Tempeh.

Another layer of Noodles.

More Sauce.

Another layer of Noodles
Generally, 2 layers of Noodles is enough, but there were exactly enough Noodles for one more layer.

Add faux Cheese Sauce.
Spread it around.
Cover.
Stick it in the oven.

Bake for 30 minutes at 375-400.

Check it after 30.
I usually poke it with a fork.
The top layer of Noodles are not quite as tender as I like.
Re-cover and put it in for 10 more minutes.

So, I think there wasn't enough Sauciness for the amount of Noodles that were put in.
So, let's say it's cooked to your desiring.
Bake for a bit with the top off.
In theory, you bake it with the top off to brown the cheese, since we're not using real cheese, it almost seem like a moot point.
But, meh.
May as well brown the faux Cheese.

Whoah, look at that shadow.
Trippy.

Serve.
Whoah.
Trippy.

Okay here it is in normal lighting.
Serve with Beer & Garlic Bread.
Or Wine.
Ya know whatever.

And viola.

It was pretty good actually. The Tempeh really added to the mix.
The texture/consistency wasn't quite what I usually get, and I think it was because of the extra layer of Noodles.
The idea, as it makes sense to me, is that there is a layer of Sauce on top of each layer of Noodles, so the moisture from the sauce cooks the Noodles as it's baking.
More Sauce next time.

So the layers should basically be like this:
Noodle - Sauce - Cheese.

You do that twice.
That's basic lasagna as I understand it.

Most people put the (faux) Meat in the Sauce rather than having it's own layer like I did, but ya know, it really doesn't matter.

You do whatever you can get away with.
Noodle - Sauce - Meat - Noodle - Sauce - Noodle - Faux Cheese

Whatever works.

2 comments:

  1. I still think it needs the third layer of noodles. Maybe you need some really wet sauce on that layer before you add the cheese? Next time!

    Oh yeah, and, you and your tomato look pretty damn cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you big brother! Meh!

    So, another option for the noodles is to use some fresh lasagna...I bet that place on Hawthorne with the fresh pasta would have some...or perhaps the grocery store...plus it tastes better than the dried stuff!

    ReplyDelete