Sunday, June 21, 2009

Alcohol Infusion

I'm infusing alcohol.

I used a 1.75 of PDX '88 Vodka (distilled in my very own SE PDX according to the label) & Metaxa Brandy (Greek).
I cut up some flavors and split the alcohol fairly evenly between four 16oz. jars.
I'm letting them steep for about a week.
I need some help coming up with some -names though. I'm open to suggestion.

Left to right:
*Ginger infused Vodka.
There's this drink at this bistro, Savoy, in the 26th & Clinton neighborhood, that makes a drink they call the Milwaukee Mule. Vodka, Ginger Beer & Lime are involved.
This would be good for that.
-There's a Ginger Vodka already on the market called Yazi or something.
That's a pretty good name. I think a 'z' definitely needs to be involved in the name somehow. 'X' would probably be good too. Something to give it a zing sound. Hygingxe...?

*Basil & Serrano Pepper infused Vodka.
I think this will make the best Bloody Mary's.
This friend of mine was seeing this lady a while back. At one of his parties she brought him a similar infusion, and I was raving about how awesome that was; a home alcohol infusion. So she gave it to me instead of to him, saying she would get him more later. I felt pretty bad.
I think it was his birthday party.
-Hot Redemption...?

*Valencia Orange, Cinnamon Stick & Damiana infused Brandy
The Sapphire Hotel infuses their alcohol and comes up with their own drinks. I would go there and see all their jars sitting on top of cabinets & shelves with fruit in it.
They kind of inspired me for this project.
On Sundays they have live music and a drink special. One time the drink special involved Orange & Clove infused Brandy (or was it Vodka? Or was it Bourbon?).
I can't remember what the name of the drink was either.
I'm thinking this would be fine straight or on the rocks, or maybe in an Olde Fashioned or a
Manhattan.
It should be noted that Cinnamon & Damiana are aphrodisiacs.
-Madame Brandiana...?

*Cherry infused Brandy
A friend of mine turned me on to Brandy Manhattans. But they range anywhere from $5-12.
That gets pretty expensive.
Plus no place makes them the same. Some establishments use Bitters, others use Sweet Vermouth only. And they almost always come in a Martini glass, which I am notorious for spilling.
So, ordering a Brandy Manhattan usually went like this:
Brandy Manhattan - Christian Brother's is fine, Grenadine instead of Bitters, chilled, no ice, in a tumbler/low.
Or something like that.
After a while I kinda got tired of ordering like Sally...


...and being the thrifty, yet discreet, lush that I am, I decided to just get the ingredients myself.
Well, Grenadine (and even Sweet Vermouth), as it turns out, have quite a bit of High Fructose Corn Syrup in them, and I try to avoid the devil's Nectar.
That's when I had the epiphany for the Pallbearer (or the pawlbear)...
Brandy w/ Dark Fruit Juice (Pomegranate, Cherry, Blueberry even Cranberry, or any combination) chilled, no ice, served low.
Delicious & nutritious.

Short story long.
-Low Maintenance...?

No comments:

Post a Comment