Monday, June 8, 2009

Stir Fry - Classic

Stir frying is pretty easy.
It's kind of the first real meal I learned to cook, once I moved past that Ramen, Rice-a-Roni & frozen TV dinners phase in college.
It's like the Pythagorean Theorum of cooking.
Hm.
Actually, I think it's more like a + b = c... there's nothing squared in this recipe.

If a = Rice and c = Stir Fry, solve for b.
b = Veggies, but I have to show my work:

Chop garlic & hot pepper

Heat oil in wok (or iron skillet... or whatever pan)
Saute' Garlic & Peppers

Gather the Veggies & Fungi
Clockwise: Shiitake Mushrooms, Red Pepper, Purple Kale, Green Peas, Green Asparagus.

Chop & toss them in with the Garlic & Pepper.
So colorful.

Season.
Black & White Pepper, Paprika, Turmeric.
Do not salt. Use Tamari, or soy sauce, or Bragg's.

For the record I did not cut my finger while chopping veggies, I actually cut my finger on a tape measure in a style very similar to how one would receive a paper cut, while working on this trellis:
For to grow Hops.
mmm... beer

Okay then, gather your herbs.
Tarragon.

Sage. Thyme.
Chop & add to the mix.

I've also recently started adding a nice tart fruit to accent the flavor.
Some of the peaches out here in pdx have had some pretty good flavor to them.
However, this one does not.
That Peach is white... of course!
Not bad though, I'll save this one for the breakfast burritos.

Pineapple & Oranges fare pretty well in this mix, but today we're going with Mango.
Eesh.
A little bruised, and feels a little funny... texture-wise.
But it tastes alright.. it'll do.

Also pictured is Arugala & Basil
Not pictured is Coconut Milk. I added it because it goes well with Mango.

Mix it all up and give it a taste.

Hm.

The Mango needs a bit of help.
Add a bit of Lemon.
I've been trying not to add lemon because I kinda got carried away for awhile there, the Lemon, Garlic, Tamari, Ginger & Basil kinda overwhelmed everything, so I'm doing my best to cut back from using those ingredients all the time.

I also forgot to add Tamari.
Tamari is a staple in this dish, despite what I just said above, and stands out quite nicely when it's not competing with all the taste sensations listed immediately above.

And another taste.

That'll work.
Ta-daa.

Serve with Rice (which was pre-made).

This, I would say, is B work at best.
Turns out I wasn't so in the mood for the Coconut Milk.
If I add the Coconut Milk, I would also usually add a nice licorice tea to thin it out and make it a soup, but I think I'm kinda getting burnt out on that as well.
But whatever, it's still way better than Ramen.

This should go without saying, but most of these ingredients are optional.
The Coconut Milk & fruit are the most unnecessary.
And you could probably get away with a minimum of 3 Veggies.
And ya know the herbs are just fresh seasoning.
So really, the equation in it's simplest form is 3 Veggies & Rice.

okay then

good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment