Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Raw Soup

Yes, this is very similar to Gazpacho, but it's also kinda like V8.
Here's what I use/the usual suspects:
Tomatoes, Guac, Asparagus, Cucumber (peeled), Basil, Arugala, with a Carrot, Beet, Ginger juice base & faux milk. Along with some spices.

Usually there's jalepeno, but I've had this cough for about three weeks. Is it an infection? Is it allergies? Is it a reaction to food? I don't know, so I'm trying a few things and one of those things is less fresh hot pepper and more garlic. However, I don't do raw garlic, so there is neither garlic nor hot pepper in this batch.

Chop, peel, prep however you need before putting these guys in the blender:
Tomatoes, Guac, Asparagus, Cucumber (peeled), Basil.
I have actually noticed a difference in consistency depending on the order in which I put the veggies in. For some reason I prefer the tomatoes to be blended first, rather than oh, say, the red peppers.
But, ya know, whatever works.

Season it.
Salt, again, is what makes this taste bad if you don't put it in. I also use paprika & turmeric.


Juice the carrots, beet & ginger. Usually 2 carrots, a chunk of beet about half the size of a twinkie, and a chunk of ginger about the size of a quarter.
Add the juice.

Blend.

Fascinating.

I usually add the arugala in mid-blend.
But I don't think it's that big of a deal when you add it.
Add the fake milk until you get the desired consistency.

Then try it.
Careful not to blend off your finger.

Hmmm.
This batch needs salt and more guac, for flavor & consistency.

You have to be careful with the guacs, like the bananas as you will see in another recipe (that rhymes), which do contribute flavor, but more importantly affect the consistency of such creations.
They emulsify, so everything kinda sticks together better rather than separates as soon as you quit blending it.
If the guac is not ripe enough it gives the soup this weird gelatinous texture that I don't like.
The riper, the better. But not too ripe. You don't want a mushy, brown, veiny mess. The guac has to have some integrity.

I pack my lunch.
I pour it in jars because it's a surer seal, therefore less likely to spill, plus glass doesn't leach like plastic does. And it's easy enough to just drink it.
Of course, the sooner you eat..? drink..? Consume. The sooner you consume it the better, but it will keep for a few days in the fridge.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment