Friday, May 15, 2009

Breakfast Tacos/Burritos

Okay so today we're making breakfast tacos, or burritos, or whatever...
In 17 easy steps!

We're making hash browns first.
Rice would also work, but I'm a hash brown kinda guy.

To begin, you will need one cast iron skillet about a foot in diameter.
If you don't have an iron skillet, just stop reading this blog right now because we will have problems.
Actually two would be better, but whatever...

Okay so, take one iron skillet, add high heat oil, like sunflower oil. Guess what temperature to set the burner.
Chop hot peppers.
I've been on a serrano kick lately.
Garlic is quite tasty. If you desire garlic, now would be the time to add it as well in a similarly chopped fashion.
Once it's lightly sizzling, shred the potatoes.
I'm a fan of Yukon Gold potatoes, they make superior hash browns, hands down.
These, however, are not Yukon Gold, despite being in a basket labeled as such when I bought them.
These generic whites will work though.
I like to shred them directly into the pan.
Season them.
Salt is what makes potatoes taste bad if you don't add it. Black pepper is kind of necessary as well.
I am also adding chipotle pepper powder.
Okay, now mix it all up and shape it into whatever shape you desire.
I'm planning on cutting them into 'strips' later for easier assembly, so I'm making it more square. Generally, they end up more circular, but ya know, whatever.
Once you get them shaped, flatten them and leave them alone.
Seriously, this is what ruins hash browns; stirring and fiddling with them.
Don't.
Patience grasshopper.
Wait until the edges start turning brown or when you can smell them in the other room, then add a bit of oil evenly over the surface and flip them.
Same thing for side B. Let them sit there until they're nice & brown.

So while the hash browns are cooking gather your veggies for your scramble.
You should know what these are, but for the beginners (no judgment), top to bottom on the left: Asparagus, red pepper, snow peas (or are they sugar snap?), shiitake mushrooms.
The leafy greens are Basil (in the middle) & Arugala (right).

Do step one again, chop & saute hot pepper and/or the garlic, add oil to pan, etc.
Chop the veggies (save the leafy greens for later).
When the peppers are sizzling add the veggies.
Season accordingly.
Yes, my hair looks like Tin Tin in the morning.
Salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, white pepper.
Add a bit of water and cover so as to steam it.
Coooook!
Yeah. Like that.

I made beans earlier.
I got some dried beans, soaked them over night (which is unnecessary, you only need to soak them a couple hours), then cook them in a covered pot for about 30 minutes or until they have reached the desired tenderness.
I keep the cooked beans in a jar in the fridge.
On mornings when I don't cook beans I'll throw a bunch in with the hash browns once they're mostly done and the pan is still hot.... right before I warm the tortillas.

Okay now, as the veggies be cookin' chop the greens.
Don't dice the digits!
Cilantro would also work here.
To each their own.
Add them to the veggies. Mix it up and make little pockets for the...
Eggs!
I find that making little pockets for the eggs cooks them faster & kind of keeps them from spilling out all over the part of the pan where there are no veggies.
I'm particular about my eggs. I like the yolks a bit runny.
Usually one egg is enough for the scramble, but this morning I have a guest.
I would also use less veggies if I'm just cooking for myself, but leftovers are nice if you want to make taco salad (everything is the same except I use tortilla chips & no potatoes, and everything is in a bowl) later in the day.

Okay now, back to the eggs. For the consistency I desire, I half scramble my eggs.
So I add a bit of water and steam them a bit.
Steammm themmm!

Now is usually the time I add the refrigerated beans to the hash brown skillet and turn the heat off or down.

Stay focused. Back to the eggs.
I usually wait until they're kinda losing they're translucency, kinda just about to turn white & opaque and then half scramble them.
Yeah. Like that.

Don't forget to warm your tortillas.
Not pictured are the 2 corn tortillas steaming over the veggie (half) scramble.

While things are coolin down (or as they're heating up), I'm usually chopping toppings.
Staples for a situation like this are tomatoes & guac, but I also like to add a bit of fruit, like pineapple or mango, orange would work too, but today we're using peach.

Now the final step... assembly.
A strip of hash browns.
Veggie (half) scramble.
Beans.
Toppings.
Congratulations, you totally won.

Don't forget the hot sauce.
~*~

3 comments:

  1. So I totally miss you...your comments made me laugh, as I could all-encompassingly hear you saying them as you do! This blog is awesome! You better keep it going! I invited some of my peeps to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm! Alas, we are on the road and unable to do our own gourmet cooking at the moment but will later:)

    J&K

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious. i love food blogs. good job.

    ReplyDelete